Have you heard about the new linky over at Mummy Tries yet? It’s a different kind of linky, one where you are expected to share posts rather than commenting on them. Reneé talks about linky fatigue, and that’s something that really resonates with me, because I am terrible at linkys. Now don’t get me wrong, I do love them, and not just because they’re a great way of bringing traffic to my blog. I love how through them I’ve discovered a wide range of blogs I would probably never have otherwise stumbled across, but commenting? Yeah, that’s a problem.
It’s not that I don’t want to comment. I do. I really do, and I get around to it eventually, but I’m typically running a few days behind. It takes me ages, especially when I get sucked into reading everyone else’s comments as well. And then… well, let’s just say my mornings can get a little bit hectic, and my laptop is old and slow and has a tendency to lose the internet connection every so often.
An hour in my life:
- Get up at the same time as Wee Girl. Get her some cereal and pour myself a cup of coffee. Decide to catch up with linky comments, but when I turn the laptop on I find the internet has randomly stopped working and the laptop needs to be restarted.
- Wee Girl wants some water. I fill up a bottle while the laptop is restarting
- I hear Little Man’s woken up upstairs. Get him up, change his nappy and get him a slice of toast with peanut butter. Try to catch up with linky comments.
- Wee Girl has finished her breakfast and wants another bowl. Get that for her. Try to catch up with linky comments.
- Little Man has finished his toast and Wee Girl has finished her cereal. Cut up an orange for them. While I’m in the kitchen Little Man closes the laptop.
- Internet has stopped working. Save the comments I was working on. Restart the laptop.
- Wee Girl runs upstairs. I can hear she’s doing a poo. Go upstairs to help her get cleaned up and make sure she doesn’t block the toilet. Worry about leaving Little Man with the laptop.
- Come downstairs to find Little Man has not closed the laptop again but he has tipped Wee Girl’s bottle of water over the sofa. Argh.
- Get a towel to soak up the water. Try to get Wee Girl dressed again while stopping Little Man from closing the laptop.
- Try saying ‘No, Little Man!’ in my Cross-Parent voice. He laughs at me. Argh.
- Get the laptop. Start writing a comment. Little man takes his nappy off.
- Decide to risk it, and put his nappy back on just as soon as I’ve finished posting a comment.
- Little Man has the nappy on his head. Hmm. Better sort it now.
- Replace Little Man’s nappy, and foil further nappy escapology by getting him dressed.
- While I’m doing that Wee Girl closes the laptop.
- The internet stops working.